There are several common reasons for needing a property restoration service. Most people experience fire damage, water damage, or discover mold in their property. When that happens, it is best to call on experts like the team at RestorePro.
One of the questions that our clients often ask is “What should I do with my stuff?” While there isn’t a one size fits all answer to this, here are some guidelines to help you know what you should do.
- Consider the Damage – The first factor to consider is the type and severity of the damage. Water damage, fire damage, and mold will all affect materials differently. Some materials, such as wood, are very absorbent and easily destroyed due to water. Paper and fabrics more be impossible to restore after a fire. Other materials, such as metals and stone, are hardy and less likely to be declared a total loss.
- Can You Do It Yourself? – You might want to try cleaning some of your items yourself. Textiles that can be machine washed might be much cheaper and easier to launder at home. Fine artwork and electronics, however, are rarely something that you can restore without specialized skills and equipment.
- Send to Expert Restorers – There are a lot of reasons to have specialists restore your belongings. Fine art and collectibles might need a restorer with specialized knowledge. When dealing with electronic storage, an expert might be able to recover important information even if they cannot repair the item.
- Leave for Property Restoration Professionals – Larger items that are installed in the home, such as fireplaces and appliances, can usually be left in place. The RestorePro, Inc technicians can determine if they are able to clean the items or if you need a specialist.
Regardless of how you handle the restoration, replacement, or repair of your belongings, there are a few important steps to take.
- Take an inventory. Ideally, you should do this well before you experience a disaster. Exactly what you need to include will depends on what you own. Gather together items such as receipts, appraisal certificates, deeds, warranties, and titles. It is a good idea to create a list of serial and model numbers, as well as contact information for service people or sales representatives. You may want to include video or photographs.
- Keep good records. When you experience a disaster such as a flood or fire, create a file (paper or electronic) and make notes of every conversation you have with your insurance company, restoration professionals, and others. When an item is sent off to be cleaned or repaired, make a note of who you send it to, any cost estimates provided, and the expected completion date.
Since 1997, the RestorePro team has been helping our friends and neighbors recover from disasters. If you experience water damage, fire damage, or mold remediation, our property restoration experts are on hand 24 hours a day to assist you. Call 781-664-9800 so we can get started right away! For more information visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/RestorePro911.