When a fire breaks out at your home or business, the results can be devastating. You may think that getting the damaged parts of the structure back into their previous condition is all but impossible. However, have no fear! By taking some simple steps and with the help of professionals such as RestorePro, you can restore the place to its previous condition and put this bad experience behind you.
What do if a fire breaks out in your residential residence or commercial property, there are things to do and things to avoid. First, let’s start with immediate safety concerns:
- Call the fire department and DO NOT reenter or try to fix anything until you receive the all-clear.
- Contact family members and loved ones to inform them of the accident.
- Don’t turn on your electricity, gas, or water unless a professional has advised you to do so.
To start the rebuilding process:
- Don’t try to clean up pained walls without discussing it with a cleaning professional. This may make things worse.
- Don’t attempt to clean your furniture or rugs without professional advice, for the same reason noted above.
- Do not use electrical appliances that have been exposed without advice from an electrician. Dangerous malfunctions may occur. This includes ceiling lights.
- Do not eat food that may have been exposed in any way.
Things you can and should do:
- Document all fire damage. Take photographs and detailed notes of property damage.
- Start the process of replacing necessary documents lost in the fire, such as marriage certificates, deeds, passports, and the like.
- Blow off or brush-vacuum loose soot particles from the drapes, carpets and anywhere else they may have gathered.
- If your electricity does not work, clean out your freezer and refrigerator. Leave the doors propped open to air them out.
- Clean any tiles or fixtures, particularly if they are made of Formica a or chrome. This can prevent permanent tarnishing damage.
- Change the air filter on your furnace, particularly if it uses forced hot air.
- Tape a cheesecloth on to your air registers to capture loose soot.
- Air out the house as much as possible, as long as the temperature outside is above 60 degrees.
If the fire damage is extensive you will need the assistance of professionals. If you are located in Eastern Massachusetts or Southern New Hampshire, your best bet is to contact RestorePro as soon as possible. Our experienced team will manage your fire damage restoration needs with state-of-the-art technology and procedures. Restoring your home to its pre-fire conditions is achievable. Let us help you!
You can find us hard at work at 21A Sixth Road, Woburn, MA 01801. We are also available 24/7 for 365 days on the phone at 1-800-847-0114. We look forward to hearing from you! You can also visit, and like us, on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/RestorePro911/