Water damage is one of the most common situations that a home or business owner might face. Knowing that it is common doesn’t make it any easier, however. If you discover water coming into your property, call a trusted professional like Restore Pro. We can solve your problems before they turn into a real crisis.
If water damage isn’t taken care of correctly it can lead to bigger problems. Structural parts of the home like walls and ceilings can collapse if they become waterlogged. Mold and mildew can grow if areas are not thoroughly dried. If you don’t want to face these much bigger problems, then have an expert solve your water damage issues right away.
So what should you do when you discover water coming into your property?
- DO remove excess water if possible. Immediate mopping and blotting can help prevent more serious damage.
- DO remove valuable and vulnerable items like papers, artwork, clothing, and electronics if you can do so safely.
- DO wipe down wood furniture. Quick drying helps reduce warping and wicking of water.
- DO prop cushions and wet upholstered items to facilitate drying. Watch for bleeding of color onto other materials.
- DO place aluminum foil or plates under furniture legs to prevent staining the floor and water wicking up into the wood.
- DO turn on air conditioning and open windows if you can do so safely. This can help speed up the drying process.
- DO open drawers and cabinet drawers to allow air circulation.
- What should you not do?
- DO NOT leave wet fabrics in place. Hang them to dry as soon as possible. Items like furs and leathers should be kept separate.
- DO NOT use a household vacuum to remove water. You risk electric shock and serious injury, in addition to possibly damaging the vacuum.
- DO NOT use televisions or other electronics in rooms with wet floors or walls.
- DO NOT turn on lights or ceiling fans in rooms with wet ceilings.
- DO NOT enter rooms with wet or sagging ceilings or walls. They could collapse and injure anyone nearby.
When water enters the home, there can be hidden dangers and complications. If it isn’t cleaned promptly water damage can lead to mold, mildew, and other big problems. When water gets into your property, don’t wait for it to turn into a disaster. Call on experts like Restore Pro to make sure that everything is handled quickly and safely. Their technicians are highly trained and have the right equipment to take care of your water damage before it becomes worse.