The Importance of Professional Mold Remediation

A lot of homeowners want to handle their home repairs on their own. That can be a great way to put your own personality into your home and save some money as well. However, when it comes to mold remediation, you are usually better off calling in the experts.

Mold remediation can be very complicated. Many websites claim to tell you how to get rid of mold, but most will leave you with a false sense of security. Without moisture control, any mold that you clean up will come back. The first step in mold remediation is always to locate the source of moisture and make sure it is taken care of.

Before attempting to handle any mold yourself, check out the EPA’s website. They have information about mold contamination and precautions, as well as guidelines on when you should call in specialists. Generally, if the affected area is more than 10 square feet, located near ductwork or ventilation system openings, or may have been caused by contaminated water, then you shouldn’t even consider doing it on your own.

There are several reasons that mold remediation isn’t a great DIY project.

  • Mold can be deadly. Some types of mold aren’t very dangerous, but others can cause very serious health problems. They can be especially dangerous of anyone in your household is very young, immuno-compromised, or has a history of airborne allergies or asthma. While most healthy adults will only develop mild allergy-like symptoms, some can develop a serious reaction. Especially if anyone in your family has a history of asthma or respiratory problems, mold is very dangerous.
  • You need special equipment to clean mold. The area needs to be sealed off with plastic sheeting to prevent further contamination. Professionals wear disposable work suits of throw-away clothes so that they don’t carry mold home with them at the end of the day. Ideally, anyone working with mold should wear a respirator, but at a bare minimum should have a mask, gloves, and goggles.
  • You can’t clean mold effectively with household cleaners. Some websites recommend spraying the affected area with soap and water, some sort of bleach mixture, of vinegar. While these might clear away surface mold and make the area look clean, they won’t take care of the underlying problem. Professionals use EPA registered moldicides and fungicides that aren’t available at your local hardware store.
  • Mold remediation can easily become a much bigger job than you anticipated. Mold often grows underneath the surface and deep inside walls before it is detected.

If you find a small area of mold in a rarely used tile shower, then it might be something you can safely handle. Larger areas and porous surfaces, as well as any location where you can’t identify the source of moisture, should definitely be handled by an expert. Our professionals can take precautions to make sure that your home and family are protected from the dangers that mold can pose, while also making sure that the mold won’t return and spread.

If you suffer water damage or mold in your home call us at 1-800-847-0114 or check us out on Facebook at  Our trained professionals are prepared to help you and your family save your home and your peace of mind!