Summer is a favorite season for the team here at RestorePro Inc. We enjoy the warm weather and the opportunities for outdoor recreation as much as anyone. However, as property restoration specialists, we are very aware of the dangers of fire. We have seem far too many properties damaged because of a simple mistake made while enjoying fireworks, cooking outside, or a campfire.
In fact, the United States Fire Administration reports that summer is one of the most dangerous times for fire related injuries and deaths. It is important to protect yourself and your loved ones while you are having fun. If you understand and follow these safety tips, you are much less likely to experience an adverse event.
Bonfire and Campfire Safety Tips
Sitting around a fire, enjoying music and the company of friends, is an important part of summertime for many people.
- Know “Stop, Drop, and Roll” and practice it with young children.
- Make sure campfires and bonfires are located in a safe spot. Keep them several meters away from your home and any flammable materials.
- If available, use an established fire ring or portable fire pit. If those are not available, create a clear area of dirt and surround with stones to prevent stray sparks from starting a fire.
- Large fire are impressive and exciting, but they are also much harder to control. Keep fires as small as possible so they don’t get out of hand.
- Always have a means of extinguishing the fire. A shovel and dirt or sand, a water hose, or a purchased extinguisher should be available any time you have a fire.
- Never leave a fire unattended. If you are going inside or leaving the property, make sure that it is thoroughly extinguished.
Outdoor Cooking Safety Tips
Many people enjoy a barbecue or cookout when the weather is nice. It is an integral part of many cultures and celebrations.
- Keep children a safe distance away to prevent burns.
- Don’t store lighter or starter fluid close to a grill or open flame.
- Never use equipment designed for outdoor cooking inside. There may be fumes emitted that are dangerous in an enclosed area.
Fireworks Safety Tips
Fireworks can be found at many summer celebrations, and many people don’t think a holiday is complete without them.
- Always use legal fireworks purchased from a reputable dealer.
- Don’t use fireworks intended for professional displays.
- Do not mix alcohol and fireworks. Whoever is handling fireworks should be able to do so safely.
- Keep pets and children a safe distance away.
- Never light fireworks indoors.
- Do not use fireworks close to a dry field or other area at risk for fire.
We hope that you enjoy your summer months without any problems. We are more than just a business. We are friends and neighbors. However, if you do experience a problem such as a fire, call RestorePro Inc at 1-800-847-0114. Our experienced and highly trained team has been helping local property owners since 1997. We have the skills and the equipment to restore your home to pre-fire condition safely and efficiently.