Nothing says “summer” like grilling steaks in the backyard or toasting marshmallows over a fire. The property restoration professionals here at RestorePro Inc enjoy summertime like everyone else, especially fireworks and cooking outdoors. We want our customers and neighbors to enjoy the warm weather, too, but we also want to make sure that everyone stays safe. Keep these safety tips in mind and you can enjoy your celebrations safely.
According to this report from the United States Fire Administration, summer is one of the prime seasons for death and injuries related to fire. There are three main culprits for this – bonfires, outdoor cooking, and fireworks. All of these require some basic safety precaution.
Make sure that everyone knows what to do if the fire gets out of hand. Know your local emergency numbers, and if you are in a hard to find location know how to direct emergency workers to where you are. Practice “stop, drop, and roll” with young children. Along with pets, they should be supervised and kept a safe distance from any flames.
In addition, you should always have a way to extinguish any fire. A shovel and sand or dirt, a hose or other water source, or a commercially available extinguisher are all good options. Never leave a fire unattended. Make sure it is completely extinguished before leaving the area. Keep lighter and starter fluids a safe distance away from open flames.
Everyone loves toasting marshmallows and eating smores. When you are enjoying a bonfire or campfire, safety should always be the number one concern.
- Smaller fires are safer fires. A large fire may be exciting, but it can get out of control quickly.
- Do not build a fire close to a building or anything flammable.
- Ideally, fires should be in an established fire pit or a portable fireplace. If these aren’t available, then clear an area of all vegetation and anything than can catch fire, then surround it with rocks to prevent stray sparks.
A part of many celebrations and events, fireworks can be exciting and beautiful. However, they can be dangerous if they aren’t used safely.
- Only use fireworks purchased from a reputable dealer.
- Don’t use fireworks intended for professional use.
- Alcohol and fireworks are a dangerous combination. Make sure that whoever is handling the fireworks can do so safely.
Family and friends gathering for a barbecue is a beloved tradition for many people.
- Don’t use grills or other equipment intended for outdoor use when inside.
- Never refill fuel tanks near a fire or grill that is in use.
- Keep grills and barbecues a safe distance from anything flammable such as paper, fabric, and vegetation.
Summer is a great time to have celebrations and gatherings with lots of family and friends. There are many fun activities to enjoy during the warm weather. Follow the above safety tips to stay safe during your recreation, and if something does go wrong, remember that RestorePro Inc is here to repair your home after you experience a fire, water, or storm event. Call us 24 hours a day at 1-800-847-0114 if you have any problems or questions. Our experts are always standing by.