We are in the middle of hurricane season and already this year the devastation has been astronomical. Decimated homes, tragic floods, and scattered debris have riddled too many homes and affected the lives and livelihoods of many. Our family at Restore Pro wishes those affected by these recent hurricanes a quick recovery and our sincere condolences for what you are experiencing.
When a home floods, water becomes a dangerous enemy. The force with which it moves can move your home off its foundation and carry a vast array of dangerous debris and chemicals. Most often a flood carries raw sewage as high waters incapacitate water treatment facilities and damage sewage systems.
The best thing to do in case of a flood is to call in a professional team who specializes in sewage cleanup and water damage restoration like Restore Pro. If that’s not possible, here are a few ways you can begin the cleanup process yourself.
- Call your insurance company to report the problem. Document the time spent cleaning and equipment used (save receipts), and take pictures of everything.
- Among all else, work safe and smart! Wear protective clothing and safety equipment and turn off all utilities that pose a hazard to your safety like gas and electricity.
- Use shovels to clear out mud and debris from your home. Mud will be contaminated with bacteria and other contaminates so everything it has come into contact with must be hosed down and sanitized.
- Remove all damaged construction materials like drywall, insulation, flooring, etc. Subflooring must dry out so mold doesn’t occur and it also needs to be sanitized.
- Disinfect surfaces with hot water mixed with a strong disinfectant like bleach. Wipe down cabinets inside and out as well.
- Clean and sanitize all cooking utensils and equipment.
- Furniture will most likely need to be cleaned by professionals if it is salvageable. Throw out mattresses, pillows, and stuffed animals that came into contact with the contaminated water.
- Run fans and dehumidifiers to speed up the drying process and to prevent mold growth. Industrial dryers and wet/dry vacuums will help clean up the dirty water as well.
- Take one room at a time. Cleanup after a flood can be overwhelming. Set small goals and work little by little. Flood recovery is possible and you’ll get through it.
The power of nature is awe-inspiring yet obviously devastating. Protect you and your family by giving us our Sewage Cleanup team at Restore Pro a call if you have experienced floodwaters in your home. We have the equipment, manpower, and skills to safely clean, sanitize, and dry your home. We can repair much of the destruction so you can get back to your normal schedule as quickly as possible.
Call us at 1-800-847-0114 or visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/RestorePro911 to learn more about our Sewage Cleanup Services and Solutions.