As the old saying goes an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. As in so many other fields of life, when it comes to dealing with mold, some easy preventive measures go a very long way.
The process of mold remediation starts with prevention. How do we prevent mold from turning into a problem? Mold never appears without moisture. The first preventive step to take is to prevent it from building up.
Common sources of excessive moisture include:
- Condensation gathering on the windows
- Deterioration of building materials
- Insufficient indoor air circulation
- Inefficient insulation
- Structural damage
These are some preventive measures you can take to prevent the problem from occurring:
- Make sure to air seal all vulnerable areas of the structure.
- The installation of vapor retarders can be very useful in this regard.
- Make sure your home and attic are properly ventilated.
- Ensure your roofing is sound and installed following manufacturer requirements.
- Make sure you have air space between the roof deck and the layers of insulation.
- Make sure your windows are installed properly, including the installation of flashing, and that windows are fully sealed.
- Make sure that your basement and crawlspaces have adequate drainage.
- Install exhaust fumes and humidifiers if necessary.
What to do once you have a mold problem?
- Clean: Using a wire brush. After that, wipe the area down with disposable wipes.
- Bag and dispose of all wipes and rags: Discard infected material in 6 mil double polyethylene bags and tie them closed. Finally, scrub all moldy surfaces using a damp cloth and detergent.
- Dry: Any material that was infected and cleaned should now be dried and the leftover moisture should be allowed to evaporate.
This should be enough for less severe mold issues. In more serious cases you may find that cleaning the surface is not enough as the problem is recurring. This could require more extreme measures such as opening up the walls. At this point the problem is complex and it could be dangerous to deal with it on your own. Some of the dangers involved in opening up your walls include hitting electrical wiring. You may also encounter serious rot if the mold has been neglected for too long. Also, opening the walls yourself could end in an unsightly mess.
If you are facing a serious mold problem, we have your back. We are the best at removing your mold and making sure it does not come back. Our service is available in Eastern Massachusetts or Southern New Hampshire. Whatever your mold issue may be, our experienced team can manage it with state-of-the-art technology and procedures.
Our address is 21A Sixth Road, Woburn, MA 01801. Call us at any time. We are ALWAYS available by phone at 1-800-847-0114. We are also on social media! Seek us out at https://www.facebook.com/RestorePro911/