While mold can grow in your home during any season, the winter months can increase the chances of mold. Mold thrives in humid, damp environments so we tend to think that summer is when would see the most mold growth. However, when it gets cold, we crank up the heat and close all of our windows and doors to block out the freezing temperatures. The poor ventilation helps mold grow as does the moisture snow provides. The warm interior air mixed with the wet exterior conditions creates a perfect habitat for dangerous mold. The good news is, with a few precautions, you can prevent mold occurring in your home this winter.
- Place rugs next to exterior doors. This is a great spot to take off wet, snowy boots and the rugs are easy to throw in the washer to clean, or can be hung to dry out. Placing them on top of carpeted areas will prevent your carpets from getting wet and dirty, as well.
- Keep your eyes open for leaky roofs. If you notice sagging ceilings, discoloration, or water marks, it is a sign that the snow on your roof is melting and your roof is in need of repairs. Have a professional cover your roof with a waterproof tarp until you can repair your roof. Waiting for spring will just add to the damage and mold that will grow in your attic if not promptly attended to.
- Use a dehumidifier to lessen the moisture in the air in your basement. The dehumidifier will reduce the musty odors and prevent mold from growing.
- Have your attic tested to see if you have sufficient insulation. Energy companies may provide this as a service as the proper levels will also reduce your heating bills while saving energy. Insulation also prevents the cold air from leaking in and forming condensation on your walls and ceiling.
- Consider hiring a certified mold tester to test your home for mold. If you notice a musty odor, see evidence of mold, or are suffering from mold-related health issues, a professional can help you locate the areas so you can take steps to get rid of it.
If you do suspect mold, call our professionals at Restore Pro. We’ll work with you to devise a plan in order to clear your home of mold. We will locate the source of the mold and then work with you to determine a plan of action. We take steps to clean, sanitize, and dry out the affected area and can repair what might be causing the mold. We will remove the contaminated materials and salvage as much of your property with our mold remediation techniques. Your home will be left in the condition it was before the mold damage occurred so you and your family can be confident that the mold is gone.
For more information about our Mold Remediation Service call us at 781-664-9800. Visit our Facebook page to learn more about our services at https://www.facebook.com/RestorePro911.