Mold Remediation DIY or Call in the Pros?

//Mold Remediation DIY or Call in the Pros?

Mold Remediation DIY or Call in the Pros?

Mold-Remediation-DIY-or-Call-in-the-Pros

A lot of homeowners enjoy working on projects around their home. It can be a great way to put your own stamp on the home, a good money saver, and a lot of fun as well. There are some projects, however, that are best left to the professionals. Mold remediation is usually one of them.

There are a lot of website that give tips on getting rid of mold. These techniques usually do a good job of cleaning up or hiding surface mold, but they often leave deep traces that will only come back again and again. In addition, if the sources of moisture aren’t handled, even a thorough cleaning will leave you with a recurrent problem.

It’s also important to check out the EPA’s website before trying to tackle any mold problem yourself. They have a lot of information about mold and precautions that you should take. They also offer some guidelines on when you should call in a specialist. In general, if the affected area covers more than 10 square feet, the mold is located near ventilation or ductwork, or there is a possibility that the water in the area might be contaminated, you should have professionals perform tests before anyone works in that space.

If you are tempted to handle your mold infestation yourself, be aware of the dangers. Mold can be deadly. Some types aren’t very dangerous, but some can cause big health problems. If you or anyone in your family has certain health conditions, it can be especially dangerous. People with a history of asthma or allergies are at risk. Those who are immuno-compromised, such as those with certain illnesses or taking immuno suppressant medication, are also very much at risk.

To properly clean mold you need specialized equipment. At the very least you must have a respirator. The paper masks that you can buy at big box stores are not always sufficient. Professionals often wear disposable clothing, including shoe covers and gloves as well as a mask and goggles to protect the eyes. The area should be sealed off using plastic sheeting or other methods.

Household cleaners do not get rid of mold. Many websites recommend spraying with bleach, soapy water, or vinegar. While these will take away visible mold and cover up smells, they won’t take care of deeper mold spores. The experts use EPA registered moldicides and fungicides that you can’t buy at your local hardware store.

If you have a small affected area in the corner of a tile shower, then it is likely you can handle it yourself. When you are dealing with a larger amount or porous surfaces, however, you are usually much better off calling in the professionals. The professionals at Restore Pro can get rid of your mold problem quickly and safely so you don’t have to worry about protecting your family. Give us a call at the first sign of mold and we will be on the job right away.  You can reach our Mold Remediation experts by calling 1-800-847-0114.  Learn more about our home solutions and Mold Remediation Services on our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/RestorePro911.

2018-01-15T12:59:23-04:00May 14th, 2018|News|