Mold Early Warning Signs to Look For

Mold is every homeowner’s worst nightmare. It can cause health problems for your loved ones and cause expensive damage to your home. Thankfully, RestorePro Inc is here to help if you discover mold in your home. Our experienced technicians will make sure that all traces of mold are carefully removed and your home is restored as efficiently as possible.

Mold has to have moisture to grow. When mold is discovered in a home, it is usually because of one of three problems.

  • Water damage that was not handled properly.
  • A slow leak inside of a wall or cabinet.
  • Unnoticed flooding in a basement or crawl space.

Because it often develops in out of the way areas, you usually don’t discover mold until it has had time to spread to cover a large area. If you’re lucky, however, you might notice some of these early warning signs. If you can discover the mold early, you will save yourself both time and money.

  1. Unpleasant or Musty Odor – A musty smell is often the first sign that you may have mold. If you notice an unusual odor, try to locate the source. Mold often develops inside of walls, under bathroom or kitchen cabinets, and in basement corners where it is hard to see.
  2. Increased Water Usage – Some people notice a change in their water bill before they discover mold. Because mold is often the result of slow long-term leaks, even a small change might be significant. If you are using more water than usual, consider having your plumbing checked to make sure that you don’t have any hidden leaks.
  3. Darkened Wall, Ceiling, or Floor – Sometimes a homeowner will discover an area of the wall, ceiling, or floor that is slightly damp. It might appear to be a little darker than the surrounding area. It may feel cool to the touch, but it might not feel any different from the surrounding surface. However, the darker color can be a sign that there is moisture present, so it’s a good idea to check it out.
  4. Respiratory Symptoms – In some cases, a family member will experience respiratory symptoms that improve when they leave the home. Many people write it off as seasonal allergies or another minor ailment, but it can be a reaction to mold. While most molds aren’t dangerous, they can cause allergic reactions, congestion, coughing, and other symptoms. A few molds, however, can be very dangerous, so any potential mold should be taken seriously.

To be safe, any time that you have a concern it’s a good idea to call in an experienced mold remediation team such as RestorePro Inc. They can make sure that all traces of mold are removed and your mold remediation project goes smoothly.

If you think that you may have mold in your home, give us a call at 1-800-847-0114. Our highly trained mold remediation team will come and inspect your home and look for signs of mold. If you suspect a mold problem, don’t delay. The longer it sits, the more it will spread, causing additional damage and expense.