Is Mold Making Your Animals Sick?

//Is Mold Making Your Animals Sick?

Is Mold Making Your Animals Sick?

Pets bring us joy each and every day.  Their funny antics, personalities, and unconditional love are just a few of the reasons we love them.  They rely on us to care for them and provide for them.  For the most part, this means feeding them, keeping up to date with their shots, and making sure they are healthy.

When it comes to your pet’s health, you should know that many of the same things that make us sick make your pets ill as well.  Take mold, for example.  We know that mold has the potential to make us very sick, but did you know that mold affects your furry friends?  It may be difficult to determine when mold is causing your pet to become sick as the symptoms can resemble other problems.  However, as you and your vet start to rule out diagnoses, it might be lifesaving to look into environmental issues within your home.

If your pet is experiencing any of the symptoms below, you may have mold growing in your home:

  • Excessive licking and scratching
  • Coughing or difficulty breathing
  • Sneezing or a runny nose
  • Red or runny eyes
  • Loss of hair from licking and scratching
  • Unexplained sores
  • Fatigue and lack of appetite

Mold can hide within the walls of your home, appear in damp places, and grow in your carpet.  Cats and dogs are susceptible to the effects of mold and may show signs of illness faster than humans because of their proximity to the ground.  Also, due to their size, they can be affected much more quickly. If your pet experiences symptoms that you can’t explain, make an appointment to see your veterinarian.  Inform the vet that you suspect your animal has been exposed to mold so they can begin treatment as soon as possible.

It is important to take steps to remove the mold from your home as soon as you can.  You and your pets can’t get healthier until the mold is gone.  To remove the mold, you might need to determine what caused it in the first place.  Leaks, wet carpets, or damp areas can turn into a mold problem within 24 hours.  Once you locate and fix the issue, take steps to remove the mold.  Consult with a professional to come up with a mold removal plan and consider keeping your pet at a friend or family member’s home until the mold has been removed.

At Restore Pro, we can help you restore your home with our Mold Remediation plan.  We’ll find the source that is causing the mold and remove and sanitize the area after the problem is repaired.  We understand your love for your pets runs deep and work hard to ensure you and your animals are safe.  If you are worried about exposure to mold, give our team a call.

For more information about our Mold Remediation Service, call us at 781-664-9800 or visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/RestorePro911.

2017-02-14T11:23:58-04:00March 20th, 2017|News|