In the heart of the summer, a crackling, cozy fire may be the farthest thing from your mind. However, it is the best time of year to begin preparing for the cooler temperatures of the fall and winter.
Let’s face it, we all enjoy gathering around an inviting fire, especially when cold weather hits. By preparing now, you’ll be ready to safely enjoy your fireplace when the first flakes of the season fall.
Getting your chimney cleaned by a professional is a necessary, yet often overlooked, task. The frequency in which you have a fire, determines how often you may need to have your fireplace and chimney cleaned. Regular users should clean theirs once a year. Less frequent use can get by with a good cleaning every two to three years. The purpose of the cleaning is to get rid of the creosote buildup which can ignite and start a chimney fire. Additionally, the chimney cleaning company can inspect the mason work of the structure to ensure its safety.
By planning and scheduling a professional chimney cleaner in the summer, you’ll benefit for the following reasons:
- You won’t have to be put on a waiting list. Most homeowners wait until they want to build a fire before remembering that their fireplace may not be ready for safe use.
- Once your chimney is cleaned, it will stay that way until you use it. So, set it and forget it, so to speak. Cross this task off of your to-do list; come winter, you’ll have a roaring fire to relax by.
- Snow and ice can damage the structure of your chimney when it expands and contracts with the changing temperatures. If damage is spotted now, you’ll have plenty of time to schedule repairs.
- The nicer weather associated with summer means you’ll have a better inspection and a thorough report.
- Mason work is best completed when temperatures are warmer. So, if repairs are needed, you can be sure that they are done in proper conditions.
When you don’t clean your chimney the flammable creosote buildup can turn into a fast burning fire. While we don’t wish this circumstance on anyone, it does happen. If it does happen to your home, give our Fire Damage Restoration team a call at Restore Pro. We have the manpower, tools, and experience to properly restore your home back to its original state. We’ll clean, sanitize, dry, and repair the affected area so your property is free of any odors and residue left by the fire.
If you have had a chimney fire, give us a call at 1-800-847-0114 so we can get started right away with your Fire Damage Restoration project. Please visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/RestorePro911 to learn more.