If your property is affected by a fire, storm, water damage, mold, or other unexpected problem, your insurance coverage is important. If you have adequate coverage, then you might have to deal with a good bit of paperwork and hassle, but you will soon be back in your home with repaired or replaced possessions. If you don’t have an insurance policy, or don’t understand how it works and fail to get the benefits that you are entitled to, then you might face serious financial losses.
When you need to file an insurance claim, it is important that you do it the right way. If you don’t understand your policy, meet deadlines, and file all of the proper paperwork, you might miss out on important benefits. At RestorePro Inc, we want you to get all of the benefits that you have paid for. What do you need to do to navigate the insurance claims process?
- Understand Your Policy – Make sure that you have a copy of your insurance policy. Read the entire thing. It describes what types of damage are covered and what are not. For example, most policies don’t cover flooding and require additional coverage if you are in an area with a high likelihood of flooding. Your policy will also tell you your coverage limits, the amount of your deductible, and your coverage limits. If you have expensive items in your home, your losses could be more than your coverage, so you may need to add more coverage. It should also describe the procedures and timelines for filing a claim.
- Gather Your Information – To file a claim, you will need a lot of documentation. Long before a disaster strikes, you can start preparing an inventory of your belongings. Serial numbers, photographs, copies of warranties, and receipts can help you to get all of the benefits you deserve. If you have antiques, collectibles, or fine art, certificates of appraisal may be a good item to include. You will also need information about the event that you’re requesting coverage for. A fire department report, the date and time of a storm, or other documentation can help speed the process along.
- File Your Claim – Claim forms are generally simple. Some companies allow you to file online or over the phone. Read the forms carefully, and double check any blank spaces. Any errors can cause significant delays.
- Keep Any Paperwork – Keep copies of receipts, estimates, and other paperwork. Save copies of all emails and letters from the insurance company, contractors, and anyone else involved in the process. Don’t forget to include the cost of a hotel or apartment if your home is not safe to live in.
- Follow Up – After filing your claim, follow up in a few days to make sure that you don’t need to send in any more information. In many cases, such as after severe storms, many homes in the area are affected and your insurance agent may be busy. Don’t let your case get lost in the shuffle.
When you understand your insurance coverage and how the claims process works, you are able to make sure that you get the service and coverage you have been paying for. At RestorePro Inc, we have been working on home restorations projects since 1997. Our team has decades of experience in working with insurance companies. If you have any questions or problems, we are always available to help you navigate the process. Call us at 1-800-847-0114 today to discover what we can do to help you.