Chimney and Fireplace Safety Tips

There is nothing like a roaring fire to relax and provide your home with a warm atmosphere. However, every year many homes suffer from chimney and fireplace fires which can cause devastating damage to your home. This does not mean that you shouldn’t enjoy your home’s fireplace this year, but here are some tips to ensure you and your family remain safe while you enjoy a roaring fire this year.

Prevent Soot Buildup

One of the primary causes of chimney fires is soot and creosote buildup. These flammable materials are the byproducts of fire which condense in the cooler temperatures higher up in your chimney. This is why chimneys need annual cleaning, however to prevent soot and creosote from building up between cleanings try to use hardwood or manufactured logs in your fireplace. However, remember that manufactured logs burn at a higher temperature than natural wood and only one should be burned at a time to prevent damage to metal chimneys.

Be Careful What You Burn

Remember to only burn natural or manufactured wood products intended for this purpose in your fireplace. Other items including glossy paper products and packing peanuts can release dangerous fumes.

Also try to avoid burning woods with a lot of resin such as pine which can leave a lot of creosote in your flue. Also avoid burning much paper at one time as this can burn unexpectedly quickly and get out of control fast.

Create a Slow Burn

Roaring fires can look and sound beautiful but they are also much more dangerous. If the fire gets too hot it can even crack your chimney. Plus, fast burning fires can release sparks and ashes much more aggressively which may end up outside of your hearth without caution.

Clean Up Between Fires

In between fires take the time to perform regular maintenance. This includes cleaning the firebox. Once cool scoop up ashes into a metal container. Also make sure to close the air intake or flue to prevent your home’s heat from escaping through the chimney.

Keep a Carbon Monoxide Detector and Fire-Extinguisher

Carbon monoxide is a deadly, colorless, odorless gas’s which is a byproduct of fires. When improperly vented this gas can buildup to life-threatening levels without homeowners ever noticing. This is why it is critical to have a carbon monoxide detector operational whenever a fire is burnt. It is also crucial to have a fire extinguisher on hand near the fireplace in case it is ever needed.

Final Thoughts

Fireplaces bring warmth and comfort into your home but without proper care they can also pose a dangerous threat to your home and safety. As you enjoy your fireplace make sure to practice these basic precautions and ensure that your fire remains where it belongs in your fireplace.

Contact Us

When fire damage does occur make sure to contact the professionals at Restore Pro to bring your home back to its pre loss condition. Contact the fire damage restoration professionals at Restore Pro. Call us at 1-800-847-0114 and connect with us on Facebook.