One of the last things that any property owner wants to discover is mold in their home. It can be expensive and time consuming to get rid of. Mold can also lead to health problems, especially if anyone in the family has allergies, asthma, or other health concerns that can make them more vulnerable. At RestorePro Inc, we have been helping local home and business owners with their mold remediation needs for nearly 20 years. We’ve learned that most mold isn’t the result of some spectacular disaster, but comes from slow leaks inside of walls.
Mold usually isn’t discovered unless it can be seen. Homeowners may return home after a few days away, or a longer period if it’s a vacation home. They discover that a burst pipe or leaking roof has allowed water to enter while they were away. Without anyone to clean up the area and stop water from coming it, mold has established a foothold. This can be a catastrophe, but the mold is visible so it is discovered as soon as the owners return to the property.
The more common situation, however, is when mold develops inside of walls because of a slow leak. This happens often in kitchens and bathrooms, because there is a lot of plumbing within the walls. Sometimes these leaks are discovered because the water damage beings to spread to the outer layers of the walls or flooring so it eventually becomes visible. Other times, the homeowner may notice a musty odor, or even spot an increase in their water usage when the monthly bill comes around.
The problem when it comes to slow leaks is that the mold has plenty of time to develop a strong foothold before it is discovered. A small spot of mold can usually be cleaned up quickly, by removing the affected material and thoroughly disinfecting the area. When it has plenty of time to grow and spread inside the walls, it can be a much bigger project. Mold remediation specialists might have to seal off the room to prevent it spreading to other parts of the home. The walls, flooring, and permanent fixtures like cabinets and doors often have to be hauled away. Any material that might have a trace of mold on it must be removed to prevent the mold from coming back. To make the home safe for people to live in, it can take a lot of time and money.
Fortunately, there are a couple of things that a property owner can do to help prevent this kind of problem. The most important thing is to make sure that your plumbing is in good shape. An experienced plumber can inspect your pipes for cracks and other signs of problems. Making repairs before you develop a leak can save you a great deal of headache and money later on. Another good idea is to purchase a moisture meter, especially in an older property where the plumbing may be prone to failures. It can alert you to increased moisture in the walls before it turns into a huge problem.
If you have concerns about mold in your home, give RestorePro Inc a call. Our experts have years of training and experience in mold remediation. When you call on us, you will discover why we have such a great reputation in the community. We can help you with any water damage restoration, fire damage restoration, or other property restoration situation as well. Give us a call at 1-800-847-0114 and let us take care of you.