When you think of a sewage spill in your home, the obvious reaction is to think of bathroom related incidents. However, there are many things that can cause a sewage problem; invading tree roots, plumbing issues, and flooding can all cause pipes to clog allowing sewage to back up into your home. This holiday season, there is another threat to avoid centered around your kitchen. The rich, fatty foods that we all crave during the holidays can do a number on your pipes. Oil and grease, if not properly disposed, can stick to the interior of your pipes and sewage lines which will, over time, cause clogs.
Kitchen clogs lead to a backup of sewage that can affect your home and yard. When entertaining, consider proper disposal techniques this year to avoid a sewage disaster that will send your guests running for their cars. We recommend practicing the following cleanup methods to avoid having to call in the experts.
- Drain hot oils and grease into an aluminum container and freeze or set outside to congeal. Once hardened, simply dispose of it in the garbage.
- Cooking a turkey or ham in the oven? Use a sturdy aluminum foil pan which you can set outside to cool once your guests have eaten their fill. The grease that runs off into the pan will set and make for easy cleanup; simply bag it and toss.
- Wipe pans coated in grease with paper towels before washing in your sink. With meals high in oil and grease, the hot soapy water will cool as it runs through your pipes leaving the grease to harden within.
- Never throw potato peels, celery, cucumber peels, or banana peels down your disposal. The fibrous skins will quickly clog your pipes.
- If you are frying a turkey this year, let the oil cool completely and then siphon it back into the original containers. Your city may have drop off areas to properly dispose of the oil.
Of course, at RestorePro, we are well versed on all disaster and restoration related topics. We understand that accidents occur and know that you need help as soon as possible. A sewage spill requires quick attention to rid your home and belongings of bacteria as well as water that could cause further damage. Our professionals are certified to clean up sewage to ensure your safety and to salvage everything we can.
Our experts will work with you to determine what course of action is required and keep you informed of our progress every step of the way. Material that can be salvaged will be properly cleaned and dried to prevent further damage while unsalvageable items will be disposed of safely. We work fast to ensure minimal damage and will have your home back to its original condition as soon as possible.
To learn more about our Sewage Cleanup services and solutions visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/RestorePro911 or call us at 781-664-9800 (MA residents) and 603-253-2068 (NH residents).